Musicians frequently ask me to accompany or collaborate with them. I am flattered, but I cannot say yes to everyone. Therefore, I try to adhere to the following guidelines:
- No Juries — I must listen to all of the piano juries and proficiency exams. I also give (and correct) theory and class piano exams every semester. My freshman courses (theory and class piano) include dozens of short quizzes. I need time to calculate semester grades.
- No Convocations or Studio Classes — unless the repertoire will also be performed at a recital or competition.
- Approximately 2 Large Commitments per Semester — Factors include difficulty (practice time) and rehearsal time. Large commitments must be spaced about 2 months apart and limited to roughly 30 minutes of music because I am not a concert artist and my teaching load is heavy.
- Only One Student of a Senior Recital
I reserve the right to say yes or no to any request. I am more likely to say yes if I have already performed the music.
My pecking order:
- Faculty Colleagues and Guest Artists
- NSU Ensembles
- Senior Recitals
- Concerto/Aria Competition
- Young Artist Competition
- Scholarship Auditions
- Other Student Competitions